I don't believe I did that.

General topics and discussions about Hobie Adventure Islands and Hobie Tandem Islands

I don't believe I did that.

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 pm

I have started this post so Hobie owners can share their embarrassing bits here for the amusement and astonishment of others,,, but mainly for the education of others (yeah right).

So, let me start the ball rolling.
Our new TI and trailer.
11:00 AM. Stand and admire new TI. Back up car. Stand and admire TI. Rest the trailer tow hitch on top of the tow ball, called away to get something. Stand and admire TI. Hook up chains and plug in lights. Stand and admire TI. Wife tells me off for standing and admiring so I snap into action.
Tie down TI, get paddles and strap to mast, strap down mast. Tripple check ties, get Mirrage drives and put in the boot, get water bottles, get told off again for standing and admiring TI.
12:30 PM. Car loaded, all in and off we go.
Turn out of drive way, trailer falls of tow ball. I forgot to attach the trailer to the car.
And that was just the first thing that happened that day.
The wind that blows will not take you where you want to go in life,,, it is the set of your sail.
Brian

Re: I don't believe I did that.

Postby ChangeMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Built an aluminium TI mount for my 3HP motor from a wooden test pattern. It fits in the rear cart holes with one inch poles that are flush with the bottom of the hull. It is a thing of beuty with machined holes for the clamps. All the parts are joined with contersunk rivets and epoxy. When I stood back admiring again my great work, I saw that the poles had been mounted upwards instead of downwards. Fortunately the epoxy hadn't gone off so I was able to recover.
Have yet to work out who would be so foolish.
Signed Annonymous.
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby ChangeMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:15 pm

I'll dob in a mate who also has a TI.
We were out sailing one day, had just left the ramp and he was struggling to keep up.
Er, I would like to think I'm a better sailer but no, somebody forgot to remove the cart. :(
Would that be embarrassing? No, when he fell in getting the cart out it was embarrassing. :lol:
Unfortunately I was in front and am taking his word for how he became so wet.
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:51 pm

:D Good one Changeman.

So, after re attaqching the trailer to the car, all was un eventful till we were out on the water.
The day was a bit over cast, but no rain was forcast right. Wrong.
We got rained on. But no problem, all part of sailing. We were out on the river, about 1/2 mile from shore, when in my wisdom, I gave all control to the boss. Jeanne has the rudder and as she reached for the sheet rope, I let go my end. The wind took great advantage of this and because I had not tied a knot in my end of the sheet rope, the sail with 10 knots of wind on board, whipped all the rope completely out of all pullies and keepers. The whole length of rope was in the water except for the end Jeanne had hold of. We had to Mirage Drive back to shore, then figure out how to re run the sheet rope.

So newbees, make sure you tie a knot in both ends of the main sheet rope, that way it can't pull through the cleat block. I used a Figure 8 knot.
The wind that blows will not take you where you want to go in life,,, it is the set of your sail.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Ah. The things we learn from experience. ;)
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Not wrong Changeman.
Have any of you good people seen ther Utube fella trying to launch from the beach and making a complete meal of it? I am not belittling him here, I learnt so much by watching that.
The biggest thing I saw strait up is that you have to be organised when launching.
Tha's why it took my mate Kim (his first time out) and I (my third),, 3 attemps to launch in the Australind Estury.
We had a 6 knot breeze coming from the left, a concrete boat ramp to our right and the boss with kind words of encouragement.
"If you hit that ramp and scratch it, I will kill the pair of you".
We missed the ramp, but we did wind up blown gently back onto the shore. Everybody out.
Second time, we pointed the TI into the wind. It would have been a great launch. except, I forgot to put the rudder down, it was still up with the bungee around it. "I was kind of wondering about that that" says me mate.
Third time lucky. Pointed her into the wind, I got in the front, my mate pushed us out a bit, in he got, a couple of strokes with the oar, pulled on the sheet rope and we were off.
The wind picked up to about 10 knots later. We had a ball, pitty about the gallons of water comming off the bow. Might have to invest in some skirts.
Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

I have had a bit of a rudder issue whith my TI. It was probably operator error at first. To turn the rudder was a wrestling match to a wrist wrenching exercise.
After the second time out and the rudder controls being impossibly tight to turn either way, I gave the rudder down haul a good hard pull. My mate said "That's it, you fixed it". The rudder moved much more freely now, but we had less rudder turning control and a heap of slop in the tiller controls.. Short story, we had stretched the rudder strings..
I gave Brett at Windrush Yachts a call and he got me sorted over the phone. On ya Brett.
I loosened both rudder string anchor screws, squared the rudder controls, squared the rudder, pulled the strings firm and tightened down the screws. All done,,,,,,,,,, so I thought.
YESTERDAY,, Sunday. Jeanne and I took the TI for a swim in Bunbury Harbour. Review for the Bunbury ramp soon.
We climbed aboard and headed out to the harbour proper. Got told off for being on the wrong side of the channel (blush),
15 knots plus, choppy and great fun,,,, except there was a lot of traffic, moored boats and things to dodge. It wasn't that congested 30 years ago I can tell you, the last time I sailed here.
BUT, a good wet time had by all. Time to head back to the ramp. I have the sheet rope, Jeanne has the rudder. There is 200 feet between two warfs, rocks and a verry small beach.then more rocks, then open sea,,,,,, allmost no rudder control. The warf on our left is falling down and marked off with floating Keep away markers and a light weight 1.5 meter bouy with a light on it. We run it down with the port arkas.
It is about now I politely ask Jeanne,
"For @#$% sake ,,, hard to starbord,, turn hard !@#$%^& right".
To which she demurely informs me "I can't,, there is no !@#$%^& rudder".
Oh crap. OK, no more husband wife now. Me captain, you one step above cabin boy.
Furl the sail NOW. Man the peddles, grab an oar. We are just entering the 200 M gap between the two warves, the boat channel, no rudder, boats coming, one behind us about to pass, warf pilons beconing us and one small sandy beach to starboard with BIG rocks either side,,,,,,,, easy. head for the beach, about 100 meters away. Long story short. We made the beach peddling hard and usiNg the oars in reverse (paddleing backwards) to point the TI.
The left hand ruuder control string had decided we haven't had enough excitement for today yet. It came loose, verry loose.
There is this very good web site. One of the headings says :"NEVER SAY DIE"!
http://www.members.westnet.com.au/photo ... /links.htm
So,,, no tools,,, what to do.
I squared the stearing controls, squared the rudded, wrapped the strearing string twice around the screw, fed the rudder holder up bungee around the joined strings and attached that to the bolard thingy on the deck.

It got us back to the ramp, but it was still pretty dodgy. We had minimal rudder control.
Brian

Postby fishinJoe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 am

So Brian, after all that what was the cause of the sticky / tight rudder in the first place? did you get it worked out?
JW.
fishinJoe

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am

G'Day Joe.
I don't know. The TI has been in the water 6 times now.
The first time, the rudder, rudder controls or the steering handles were rely stiff, but I did not have a solid pull on the rudder down toggle.
The second time out, the rudder was siff as, with a little bit of steering slop. When I got home, I ran my hands along the steering controls, rudder handle set up, checked rudder pin, all seamed fine. Out of the water, everything worked fine.
Third time out, it was realy stiff. My mate and I were out this time. After about 1/2 an hour of near twisting the stearing handles to snaping, I gave the down toggle a real hard pull, to its full length of travel.
"Fixed it" came the instant reply. So I went fromn stressing out the steering controls to fully tensioning the down rudder toggle. All didn't seem right still. Now the steering toggles are not opperating in line or giving full rudder turn. When I got home, I rang Brett at Windrush yachts and he was at a loss what could have been the problem. But he told me how to re tension the rudder strings and that fixed the steering slop and aligned the steering handles.
Next time out was Bunbury harbvour. A good pull on the rudder down toggle, steering good. Then the string came loose on the left string anchor nut.
Yesterday, I re aligned the handles, re tensioned the steering lines and SCREWED DOWN THE SCREWS WITH MALITIOS INTENT!
So, Off to Potters George. Great day in 15 knots plus, best speed 11 kph. Second last tack of the day. aiming straight at the bank, 50 yards out, turn. Turn bro turn. "I am."
CRAP! "FURL SAIL NOW! GRAB AN OAR. PADDLE BACKWARDS",,,,, over the side, grab Aka dig in heels GENTLE NUDGE.
My brother says "I like this sailing, i'm soaking wet, you try to kill me and now we have to swim this thing across the river".
"Not today bro" I tell him.
The left rudder string had com loose again.
I did the same again and used a 1/2 furled sail and gentle rudder to get back to the trailer.
So, is the steering fixed? I don't know yet. I will reset the controls, screw things down tight again, try again. If it comes loose again, I will put another nut and screw back at the rudder and double anchor it, both sides.
The steering is no longer stiff, now I pull rudder down control tightish. But it is a bit of a worry. I will take it back to Brett and let him look it over. The first two sails, I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't bent under there, but I can't feel anything wrong.
Will let you all know what happens.
Brian.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I think some people are just so far West of it, they don't know how to sail :lol:

Seriously though, part of the rudder is forward of the centre of pivot, when down completely.
Just like the control surfaces on aircraft, this is like power steering and the forward movement gives some power to turning the rudder.
So, if the rudder isn't fully down, there may not be any rudder forward of the centre of pivot.
This would make it difficult to turn and stress the lines etc.
There is a thread on the US site about tieing the lines in a certain way but it sounds like you need to find the cause.
On my TI I give the rudder downhaul a swift but not strong pull and I listen for a thump which indicates it is fully down.

Hope you get it sorted and I won't say keep us posted as some things in life are a given ;)
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 pm

G'Day brian, Thanks for that, I will track down the American site.
One of the joys of owning a red Hobie. They not only go faster, you can steer them too.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 pm

G'Day all.
We went out to Potters George last week. I re set the rudder strings, just for good measure,,, and Jeanne and I had a great day out. No problems with the rudder, no water in the hull. It was a light wind day. Best speed 8.5 KPH, worst speed dead stop. It was a gentle wind day with 45 degree wind shifts. The only things that got wet were our bums.
So, the water in the hull problem apears to be hatches. We are going out sailing tomorrow (Sunday), I hope the wind picks up.

Next Friday, we are going to Perth to have Brett at Windrush Yatchs chech out the steering and hatch covers.
Saturday, we will be sailing on the Swan River,,,,,,,,,,, somewhere.

Stay tuned :D

Brian W.,A.
Brian

Postby Mav » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 am

Brian wrote:G'Day all.
No problems with the rudder, no water in the hull.
Brian W.,A.

Good to hear you have sorted the little problems out Brian, happy sailing mate.
Mav

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 pm

G'Day Mav. It seems to be fixed. We sailed Potters George today, just got home about an hour ago. The rudder diodn't mioss a trick. We were practicing 360s, upwind, down wind. cross wind,,,,, had the whole river to ourselves. It was blowing 15 to 0 knots. When it was good, it was great. I just finnished hosing the TI down, letting it drip dry.
Off to Perth Friday. We are going to dip the TI in the Swan River. Should be fun.

Brian.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 pm

G'Day all. I have something you all need to try. While puting the TI in the car port in bare feet, you need to run over your big toe with the dolly wheel. It is a treat you all must try,,,,,, once, just so you can say you have ticked that one off your to do list. You will certainly know you are alive.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm

I tried a capsize to see if I could recover.

Well that wasn't the reason, I was trying to catch a mate in his TI, had too much sail out for the gust, to his lee and couldn't turn away. Had to turn to windward to depower and release the main. All a bit too late though and clipped the back of his TI with my starboard ama.

As per the design, the pin sheered, the ama folded in and over we went all in I'm sure less that a second. All would have been well but I had unceremoniously dunked my wife.

Interesting situation, life jacket under my chin (must add a crutch strap), waterproof pants full of water and breathable sailing jacket not doing much breathing. The Port amas was up in the air as the TI had tipped on the side but not right over. I think the sail stopped it going all the way as we were in a dredged channel that was probably about 2m deep. But all was well as my iphone was running navionics and recording our no movement. Should have taken a photo but a bit busy trying to recover before we drifted to the shallows.

So the solution. I always carry a couple of spare ropes in the small mesh compartments so I tied both ropes to the now vertical port aka, just above the arm that holds it out. Threw the ropes over the hull, swam around and wife and I put our feet on the ama in the water and leaned back on the ropes. It took some effort but over it came. Once it starts it comes over quickly. The mast was out of the step before trying this as I couldn't furl it completely and thought it would be easier without it. A challenge putting it back when it wasn't rolled up tight and was wet but it went in without me falling in.

A couple of lessons.
Have a device to undo the spare sheer bolt and replace (thank goodness Hobie attached the spare).
Ensure everything has a chicken strap, including the Hobie drink bottles (took a while to find the one which got away).
Attach a half inch rope to each aka with a loop or two in the right place for next time.
Don't get too close to objects to the windward - if overpowered in gusts you can't turn to lee.
Stay fit as rolling into the TI is hard work.
Purchase a rope ladder to assist getting into the TI with wet clothes.

Will the TI roll completely? Maybe not as the sail will stop it, unless you pitch pole.
I'm confident of getting it back up on my own if on its side but would find it hard work if completely over.
No doubt the mast or step would be damaged in a pitch pole.
In this instance, no damage to either boat so that designed sheer works well.
Just a little damage to pride but ended up sailing back and conducting a debriefing (couple of hours at a local pub that makes a very nice milk stout).
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

:D OUCH! Rolling the TI over is a minor problem,,,,,,, but dunking the Missus,,,,,,,,,,, Dog house for you.
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 am

G'Day all.
We sailed the Swan River and had a ball. It was great fun stalking the hire cats and passing them.
The rudder behaved its self and all went well, but I had a screw driver on board just in case.
Josh at Windrush Yachts gave the TI a once over and re set the rudder lines. I had them too tight.

We sailed Potters last Saturday and stiull no rudder problems, but I have a screw driver with me just in case.
Brian W.A.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Compounding a minor chalenge with stupidity.

My TI lives in the double carport beside the car. The carport is at the top of a relative steep gravel driveway. I say relative, because when moving the TI on the trailer, so long as one is relatively organised, I can carefuly man handle the trailer down the slope with a bit of brute force to stop the whole lot getting away, turn the trailer 90 degrees to Port and park it on the grassy area out the way while I do something.. I have done this a few times with no problem.
Yesterday was a different story.
To my right is a lime stone wall just begging me to loose control and scrape the hull or arma along it. To my left are rose bushes for a couple of meters, then a grassy area with a small hump near the edge of the gravel driveway.
But wait, there's more. To add to the challenge, at the end of the grass area there is a rock wall just waiting for the rudder to crash into it.
But that's not all. The right hand edge of this grass area, drops off about 2 meters in a hurry into the bush.
Now, you avoid all the obstacles by keeping a solid control over the trailers' momentum, direction and turn the trailer in a controlled manner 90 degrees onto the grass and stop the whole thing from running into the rock wall. Plenty of room.
So, I have a solid grip on the jocky wheel, start the trailer moving, miss the car port post,, good. Wheels now on the gravel slope, lean back a little and keep a solid pull to control the speed,,,, good, all under control.
Pass the roses,, safe from the wrath of the missus.
maintain pull, control speed and start the trailer turning left whilst not slipping in the gravel. All is good.
The left tyre comes up against the hump and stops,,,, but no one told the right wheel to stop. The trailer starts to pivot around. CRAP. Hold on and dig in. I am now sliding down the drive on my boots pulling backwards with a death grip on the dolly wheel. All of us are gathering speed.
But, no problem. I just have to hang on until the pivot ends, no worries.
Now,,,,,,, it is about this time, when I am thinking, "I got this,,, all under control,,,, no worries",,,, when the left hand wheel decides to assist me in my struggle and climb over the hump. The right hand pivoting ceased imediately, the great amount of controlling leverage I was applying disappeared and the bloody tow hitch came back at me and the dolly wheel tried to run me down.
Remember that 2 meter drop. The trailer is now trying to go over the edge,,,, sideways.
I lost my grip on the tow hitch, but I still have a death grip on the dolly wheel. I know this because I am on my side in the gravel looking up. I said "Goodness gratious me, this is an interesting predicament".
If the trailer goes over the edge, death awaits me,,,,,,,,,, the wife will kill me. Motivation enough. I had a heart to heart chat with the trailer.
"STOP YOU BARSTARD"!
It did. The trailer had about a 15 degree lean on it, the right hand tyre was over the shoulder of the drop and a fare bit of the rudder end was looking out over the edge.
I gingerly relaxed my grip on the dolly wheel, picked myself out of the dust, ran for the wheel chocks in the car port, dashed back and chocked the trailer. To my relief, all is well.
Well,,,, not quite. Whilst I am standing on the edge of the drive way dusting myself down and thanking my lucky stars, who should turn into the drive after night shift at the hospital? The boss.
"What happened"
"Nothing"
"You nearly lost the boat over the edge"
"No I didn't. I parked it there in a controlled manner".
"I can see that by the dirt, dust and blood".
Thusly, the reason I married a nurse.

Brian W.A.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 am

I think this Truckie might be in trouble. He has bent the trailer. Wait till hobie finds out.

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 am

I have a bright green arm rest off of a caming chair. It has an eyelet in one end. This bright green piece of nylon has a short length of nylon webbing with a plastic snap thingy that clips arount the rear seat strap on the TI.
"WHAT'S IT FOR"! I here you all chorus as one. Good question.
It is there to remind me to check all the drain plugs before putting the TI in the water.
Guess which drain plug I left out yesterday while we went for a peddle on the local river 5 minutes from our place.
The TI was really heavy trying to wheel it up to the car, then the boss saw the water pouring out of the back of the hull.
It was all Jeannes' fault because she was the captain for the day and she should have checked,,,, right.
NNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR! Didn't work for me either, another lost argument.
Tell you wot though,,,,,,,,, the TI cart handled it well. Really taxed the balloon tyres.
Brian W.A.

P.S. Still not as good as Brians' capsize. I would have loved to have seen that. I wonder if he is still in the dog house after dunking the missus.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

In the interest of WA not hogging this forum (there's a challenge) I'll tell you about what I did wrong.
Mm, since the capsize absolutely nothing.
Well, maybe dragging the outboard motor and mount over 4,000 km in 46 degree heat to QLD and back and not using it once.
The winds were up each day on the Sunshine Coast, albeit flukey and gusty.
I still haven't learnt how to sail when the wind indicator is doing 360.
So there you go Brian.
Can't have a Brian hogging the site :twisted:
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm

ROFL.
Good one Brian. We have the Aus Day Canoe In this Saturday. Hopefully there will be a heap of canoes, kyaks,,,, and a heap of AIs and TIs from West Oz.
Either way, The boss and I will have a great day sailing.
It is going to be a hot one though. 32 ish ,,, a heap of sun screan, long sleeved shirt, jeans and a wrap around hat for me.
Brian W.A.

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/phototouchup/australiaday.htm

Have a great Oz Day.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

The dumb things we do. I never even gave it a thought, but I broke it.

We were sailing in a new spot for the first time (see Boat Ramps / Eaton) on the web page.

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/phototouchup/ramps.htm

We had been out for an hour, came back in for lunch. After lunch, we were off for another sail.
The TI is 1/2 parked on the beach half in the water, I lifted the front of the TI and started to push the boat off the beach, it didn't move at first. I thought it was just stuck in the sand, so I added a bit more push force. The Ti moved and then floated free.
I pointed the TI into the wind. Jeanne got in, I was about to get in when I noticed the rudder looked a bit strange.
It was sort of dangling behind at a strange angle.
I had snapped the rudder pin when I pushed the TI off the beach. It wasn't the hull that was stuck in the sand, it was the rudder.
When I added extra weight to get the TI back into the water, it finaly moved after the rudder pin snapped.
Lesson learnt. Put the rudder up.
Brian

Postby hobieadmin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:21 am

Hope you made it home without too much trouble.
Tony Lim

Media & Marketing
Hobie Cat Australasia
hobieadmin
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

G'Day Tony,
No problems there, thanks to Hobie having the foresight to put a spare rudder pin hanging under the back hatch. I replaced the pin and sailed away for another 2 hours. That reminds me. Need to order 2 new rudder pins and 3 spare hull bungs.
Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Yesterday I had the TI out sailing at a new spot at Eaton. It is in the estuary, it is salt water.
Hosing down the TI gets most of the salt and sand off, but a dunk in the river gives the ropes and sail a good rinse.
Out to the river I go, wheel the TI to the water, set up and sail around for a bit.
Then I removed the armas and arkas and dunked them in the river. I removed the sail and dunked it in the river. Then I turned the TI over and dunked seats and all. All salt flushed out of ropes, sail, and all.

I rolled the sail up and with much effort because the rolled sail was full of water, I set it in the TI, unfurled, and let it drain.
Now the wind is very light, no armas fitted yet,,,,,,, I wonder how stable the TI is with the sail mounted, no armas, light wind,, can I sail it without the whole thing going arse up.

I never got to find out about the sailing bit. To get into the TI, you have to at least drag your butt over the side and into the seat. This proved to be my undoing. As soon as I had half my weight on the edge of the hull and I went to put my feet on board,,,,,,,,,,,, the hull of course healed over a bit,,,,,,,,,, and the weight of the furled mast did the rest. I entered one side of the hull, and instantly exited the opposite side of the hull as the whole lot rolled over on its side, mast and me in the water.

I came up coughing and spluttering water, looking around to see who saw my masterful exit. As embarrassing moments go, you rarely get away with it without some one seeing it. There was more than one. I knew this by the laughter coming from the shore.
Brian

Postby tonystott » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm

I do believe you are living proof of the concept "taking one for the team" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am sure your willingness to record such incidents will prevent others following suit!

I know I now don't unfurl the sail to set up the furling line while the TI is still on the trailer after extending the amas, as once or twice the single hull seemed ready to rotate in the trailer.
tonystott

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Nope, I haven't tried that one Tony. :D

Someone will decide "NNNNNAAAAAAAAA,,,,,, that can't be right. He is having a lend of us",, and give it a go.
Even if you get your butt safely into the seat, the size of the sail will quickly over power your opposite shifting of your body mass to counter the roll of the hull.
BUT, by all means, prove me wrong. I am sure it can be done in a steady light breeze. I shuold think 10 knots is doable. :D :D :D :D :D . Someone give it a go and write it up here. :D Can't wait for a good laugh. I am sure Brian is allowed back into the house by now, even though he is probably sleeping in the laundry. A man of his age and wisdom, should know you never accidentley dunk the missus and expect life to go on as normal. I WISH I HAD SEEN THAT!
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm

We took the TI and caravan to Lake Bonny at Barmera South Australia last weekend.
The Mrs must have forgotten the dunking and came out with me. :D
This time I didn't dunk her but the winds came up rather strong and was stressing those nylon aka bolts.
Perhaps I learnt my lesson as we went back to the van to contemplate over a few ales.
Winds got up to 61 kph and even though it was a short fetch, the waves were over 2 feet and lots of spray.
The next day it dropped to 40 k so out I went solo.
A real buz and I'm sure the fastest the TI has gone ever.
Did I have my GPS Navionics working?
Always the way and I was far to busy to set it up.

I had a little trouble cleating the furling line from the rear seat.
Not fun in those winds when it lets go to full sail. :idea:
I tied a 1" stainless ring to some cord, passed the furling sheet through it then passed the cord under the front aka and over to the back seat.
A quick yank on the cord firmly locked the furling sheet in the cleat.
Probably more sophisticated solutions but I had the cord and ring with me.

So overall a good weekend with no repairs to do and no dunking of the Mrs.
And the beer was cold.
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:00 pm

That would have been an exciting ride Brian.
Brian

Postby GregLewis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Here's a bit of info that may be of use......

The Arma people are an ethnic group of the middle Niger River valley, decended in part from Moroccan - Spanish invaders of the 16th century CE. The name, applied by other groups, derives from the Spanish word for firearms, which they introduced into the region.
The term ama is a word in the Polynesian and Micronesian languages to describe the outrigger part of a canoe to provide stability.

Arka (Hungary), is a village in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, Hungary
The aka of a multihull sailboat is a member of the framework that connects the hull to the ama(s) (outrigger).

Just sayin'....
;) :D
Greg Lewis
Hobie Cat Australasia
GregLewis

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Greg,,,,, you have far too much time on your hand. Now go sailing. :D
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Dumb things we do when we are tired.
We were on day 2 at Nornalup, been sailing all day, had the TI packed up and on he cart. All we have to do is pull the TI across the beach to the car park.
I had the front pulling and Jeanne was doing her best to help by pulling on the front arka to help the rolling motion up the bit of a sand slope. The cart stopped moving, I lost the grip on the front handle and did a face plant into the sand. I was not amused.
Jeanne came to the rescue. She told me to stop fooling around and get out of the way, she would pull, I had to push.
Now I tried the arka grab and push. It is really awkward, so I says, "Hang on a bit, I will push from the back".
Problem is, the rudder is in the way. No problem, I grab hold of the rudder blade, Jeanne pulled and I pushed. Everything went fine, until there was a snap sound. We got the TI to the trailer, loaded and tied down.
Then I checked the rudder for the damage. I knew exactly what it was as soon as I heard it. I snapped the rudder pin exactly bellow where the strings run over the top of the pin. It was a perfectly clean break.
I got the spare pin out of the spares bag and replaced it.
Morel of the story?
Brian

Postby tonystott » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Brian, for that job, I would use a simple knot instead. It might be harder to undo, but you will hardly ever need to undo it unless changing the sheet, in which case cutting it off it doable.
tonystott

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:04 pm

BUGGWE! The dumb things we do!
We have sold our house, so the killer gravel driveway is no longer a problem. We are renting while we build the new house.
The TI lives in the car port under cover, the car gets parked out in the weather,,,, it's all about priorities people. We have made a cover for the TI. In order to get the cover to fit neat, I had to leave the rudder down,,,, no problem.
Saturday, I needed to park the TI on the verge while we cleaned up the car port and the yard. There is a slight down hill grade on the driveway and verge,,, gravel,,, the verge is a little steeper, a concrete curb then the road. The whole edifice slopes gently, except for the curb that has a bit of a drop and the verge that is a bit steeper.
I grab the dolly wheel and successfully pull the trailer and TI down the drive, a hard 90 degree turn onto the verge. I am most impressed, I didn't break anything.
So, everything cleaned up, time to put the TI to bed. It is easier to get the TI onto the road, then line it up with the drive and get a bit of a run up to get the trailer to hop over the curb, then with said momentum, keep the push going into the car port.
I discovered on Saturday, this works brilliantly,,,,,,,,,,,, if the rudder is not in the down position. Trailer lined up across the road,, push with attitude (a bit of a bump over the curb and a short up hill gravel section),,,,,,,,,, shuddering halt and a delightful sound of something snapping.
The TI still has the warm and cuddly cover on, with the rudder in the down position. I successfully drove the bottom of the rudder into the gravel driveway, just befor the tyres hopped over the curb. I snapped another rudder pin, the 4th this year.
You just gotta love HOBIE. They have thought of every stupid thing a bloke could do to his TI and built in a mechanism to prevent said stupid bloke from damaging the TI / AI.
Obviously, HOBIE has set me a challenge to find a way to damage something that they never thought of. GIVE ME TIME HOBIE, I will come up with something, without even trying.
Off to Bunbury to buy 3 new rudder pins.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 pm

"Did the Arma people lose their ama and aka in Arka?"

If there was a choice between producing these profound intellectual remarks ;) and sailing, guess what.

I've always seen the TI as opposite to the VW beetle; good design showing excellent research and well exectuted value for money.
Especially after crashing into another TI and not damaging anything but the sheer bolt and my pride.
We shall never replace the rudder or sheer pins with anything stronger than the plastic supplied. :!:

Have any of you replaced the aka, not Arma, rivets.
I bought some larger rivets from the SA Hobie dealer and intend to epoxy the joints after cleaning them up.
I know Rob has done his and used a fine glass matt to take up the slack.
Perhaps I'll take some photos and post.

No, perhaps I'll just go sailing with a mate over from Melbourne who I sailed from Tassy with in his RL28.

After all, there is still 3 months for winter projects.

Cheers,
SA Brian
ChangeMan

Postby tonystott » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:37 pm

There I was, with my brand spanking new Stormy Lite PFD type i, which is mechanically identical to the red version sold by Hobie (I couldn't fit into the XL size Hobie sells, so bought a 3XL Stormy version from Maclean Outdoors after selling the Hobie one online).

I decided it would be far better to add the bracket for my VHF up on one shoulder, so I could use it by just pressing the Mic button.

I opened up the zippers to get inside the jacket, and carefully cut a narrow slot for the mounting bracket. As the blade sank in, it dawned on me that I had not kept the bladder properly clear..... My heart sank, as I realised what I had just done!

Fortunetely when I called Stormy, they didn't laugh out loud at me, and said that they should be able to repair the bladder (which was in brand new condition, never having left my loungeroom), so while they have it, I have asked them to install webbing brackets on both shoulders, so I can mount my PLB and VHF up out of the way. Evidently Stormy's dearer models include these (I daren't say this suggested that the lives of people buying cheaper ones are less valued, but...).

So my enterprising error looks like adding about $100 more to the cost, which coincides with th price of a new one from Maclean Outdoors!

Oh yes, it did not help, that when I spoke to the woman on the Stormy stand at the Sydney Boat Show, she told me that she already knew about my situation! Looks like I gave them all at Stormy in Tasmania a bit of amusement!
tonystott

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Good one Tony, glad I am not the only one capable of doing clever things.
GOD, I NEED A SAIL!. Haven't been out for about 8 weeks. Hope the TI still knows how to swim.
House plans near ready for the build.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

I know you are all eagerly waiting for me to attempt without even trying, to do, break or mess up again.
BUT, I am sad to have to anounce here, I haven't managed to do anything stupid for a while. I must be due real soon. :D
Like attempting to surf the TI. So far, I haven't had the opportunity, or been out sailing where the boss can't see what I am attempting. Should I break the TI in this fine endevour, There will be a price to pay,,,, and I don't mean fixing the TI.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm

And I haven't done one thing wrong with the TI for 2 months.
Although perhaps I have - leaving it in the garage for 2 months while I renovate a unit.
Come on Australia day and a booking in the caravan park at Lake Bonney. :)
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Go Changeman!
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:30 pm

I know,,, you have missed me. Well,,,,,, I'm back with more hard learnt lessons, born out of stupidity!

What a day,,,, what a day of firsts,,,,, what a day of disasters one on top of another.
10:30 AM Eaton, Lechenault Estuary.
Wind light from the South. Forecast, 20 to 30 knot winds early afternoon. "Yeah right".
The tide is out still and the estuary is relatively flat, so I had to walk the TI out about 100 meters just to get the Miragedrives in. Off we go, full sail,,, GPS,,, 1.5 KPH. This is fun,,, just.
11:00 AM. Wind lines coming. They arrive. 8 KPH, much better.
11:30 AM. Good solid winds now, let's try and sail out of the gap into the ocean and Bunbury Harbour. GPS,,, DEAD! Batteries flat. BUGGER!.
So, good solid wind, tide coming in, sand bars to watch out for, boats coming and going, shouldn't take long. 1 1/2 hours later, strong wind now, battling tide, wrong wind direction making it harder, dodging boats and a sea kayaker, TACKING, TACKING, TACKING! I lost count. I finally get out into the ocean,,, just. I got just out side the gap into the ocean, I could see Bunbury Harbour, and an ocean that was a washing machine and tumble dryer all in one. I smiled to my self, turned tail and down winded it back to the trailer. In 15 minutes I was on the beach having lunch. But what a 15 minute ride. The swell was getting up and it was 1/4 to 1/2 meter high when I ran the gap down wind. I was riding the swell and running with the tide home, down wind under full sail. What a FIRST, WHAT A BLAST.

If I had gone home now, a great day would have been had. But all this wind, swells, white caps. One more run down to Australind boat ramp and back about 7 Ks I think.
Now,, I am in an estuary, about 1k wide shielded from the ocean, banks on both side,,, sure there are a few sand bars to watch for and shallow areas. I have 20 to 25 knot winds PLUS, a 1/2 meter swell (more like mini waves coming at you), white caps galore,,, what could possibly go wrong.

The 3/4 cross wind, down wind run to Australind under full sail, was fast,,,, exciting.
I was surfing the swells as they rolled by, burying the nose of the TI a few times. The rudder was a bit of a fight to hold the TI on course with the swell and wind pushing and shoving. 1/2 way there I am thinking,, "I have to sail back through this,,,, tacking all the way. Might be interesting?"
I got to Australind darn fast. I turned the TI around got across the irons with a bit of Miragedrive, got hit by the first swell which drenched me,,,, and still under full sail. BIG MISTAKE! The TI reared over burying the inside arma and was being driven sideways by the wind. I tried to release the sheet rope but it was jambed in the cleat. I got two hand fulls of rope and pulled hard back and up at the same time with malicious intent. The rope came free and near pulled me through the cleat block. The sail is flapping trying to destroy its self. I grab the furler cord and heave. I get the sail 1/2 furled. Now the shorter sail area is going ballistic flapping in the winds. I grab the sheet rope and haul like mad. Under sail again.
Now, if I had time, I would have changed my under wear, but it was still full on. I get the TI pointing on the first tack heading home. It is almost straight across the Estuary. Keeping hard to the wind, getting drowned by water crashing over the front and side of the TI, I am making about 4 KPH. Everything is wet, strong and a bit nasty now, so I am keeping the stresses on the TI and sail to a minimumish.
Now I turn for the second tack, come across the wind Peddling like mad, the sail fills,,, and we are off. Until I run out of water, I am on a long 8 KPH run 30 degreeing the swell, getting drowned and hammered. 45ing the swell was horrific. But we are on our way home.
Next tack across the estuary, giving up a little bit of ground, getting hammered by the swell, water coming off of everything, the nose, the armas, over the side. Next tack on the long run again. 2 to 4 more tacks and I will be home.
Yeah right! On this long run, same set up, the nose is just burying itself in the well. "COOL" I think. Wish I had a GoPro. The TI kept doing it, but getting deeper and taking longer to recover. "S#%T" I think. I back off the sail and go slower. Pelican Point coming up with a sand bar that sticks out a fare way. I will have to tack soon.
Sailing slower, the TI feels a bit weird. It drags the back end over and through the swell, or seems to fall over nose first and drive into the water. It took 4 of these before I realised what was going on. Water in the hull,,, lots of it. On the next ride over the swell, the TI buried deeper than before, water came over the front and sides, then came up. The dagger board 1/2 closed and there was a dragging sound. RUDDER,,,SAND,,,BOTTOM,,,, SAND BAR!
Before the rudder pin sheered, I flicked the tension off and pulled it up.
"Thank you" said the wind gods. The Ti in now uncontrollable. Over the side,,,, the down wind side!
REMEMBER THIS NEWBEES! NEVER, NEVER NEVER get out of your boat on the down wind side. I was dead lucky, not dead.
Before I touched bottom, I realised my mistake. I grabbed the arker and jammed my hip against the hull and braced my feet in the mud. I slid a bit before the TI pivoted around me and came into the wind.
Now a few other interesting things came along, all at the same time. I am thigh deep in water, the TI is trying to blow downwind with intent, the 1/2 furled, shortened sail is demon possessed trying to destroy itself and I am wedged against the hull and the arka bar with a 2 handed death grip.
I jammed my thigh against the hull and arka, reached across and wrenched the sheet rope free and furled the sail. Now just a 50 meter stroll through Estuary slimey mud with a wind and swell that want's to take the TI away down wind. I had to drag the TI sideways through the water to shore. I am buggered, or so I thought. I tried to drag the nose up onto the dry sand, but the TI was just too heavy. I got about a meter of nose on dry sand.
I opened the front deck hatch and found water about 5 centemeters from the top of the deck. BUGGER! Now what?
"Never say die until you are dead people"! I took me an exhausted while before I figured out what to do. I stripped the TI of sail, armas, arkas mirage drives and paddles. With that gone, I heaved the TI another 1/2 meter up onto the sand. I then dragged the back of the TI towards the beach. After about 7 minutes, centemeter by centemeter, I had the TI on dry land with the hull bung just above the water line. Out came the bung and I waited. And I searched for a possible water entry. All hatches were locked down firm (doesn't mean they don't leak), No visible cracks or holes,,, then I found the possible culprit.
Where the rudder lines go into the hull, there is a plastic tube. This tube had worked its way out about 2 centemeters. I pushed it back in, waited for the hull to drain, re rigged and sailed off.
All done. Not yet. I had to do the long, slow, hard tack to the far side of the estuary. I had to get this in 2 tacks because I am completely nackered by now. Turned for home. Got hammered, aimed for camp about a K away. I aimed for a landing point and with a bit of side drift I would make it easy.
3 THINGS CONSPIRED AGAINST ME. Exhaustion, 1 plan of action,,,, and the bloody tide going out. Remember that sand bar off Pelican point? I hit it,, literally. Because of all the swell and chop, you couldn't see it. The rudder hit, the mirage drive hit, the dagger board popped up, the TI stopped and the wind tried to tear something off the boat, what ever was stopping it from going sideways with the wind. I am now getting very vocal and colourful. Over the side ((UP WIND)), Grab the sail and discover I am knee deep in water. I stand the rudder up amazed the thing is still in tact, literally wrench the Miragedrive out, climb over the Arka, grab the nose handle and start the 400 meter trudge to the trailer towing a bucking TI that just wants me to let it go and be swept down wind and away. I was wasted! It took for ever to get the TI loaded.
When we got home, I left everything, staggered inside, had dinner by 8:00 and remember nothing till the boss woke me at 11:30 and I staggered to bed.
Up at 7:00 AM this morning. It is now 11:00 AM. I still can't face going out there to Wash and clean everything. I will have to strip the TI down.
Lessons learnt!
Pick one. The one encompassing lesson is:
DON'T MESS WITH THE WIND GODS! Even if you win, you will have paid a price. Pick your sailing conditions, accept your consequences. Push the envelope, don't be surprised if the envelope turn into a fly swatter.

AND ABOVE ALL, NEVER SAY DIE UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD!
Do the best you can until you can do no more,,,, then do it again!
If panic is the first thing you do, you are in a world of trouble.

I do need to go and see to my sturdy TI, kiss its yellow hulls and thank them for bringing me home alive, in spite of my stupidity.
Brian

Postby tonystott » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Brian,
I need a lie down after reading that harrowing account! I am reminded of the sword fight in "The Holy Grail". It's only a flesh wound LOL

You do win the 2014 persistence award!
tonystott

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 am

G'Day Tony,
I thank you for the 2014 Persistance Award,,,, but I must respectfully decline. I don't deserve it. Stupidity should not be rewarded.
But I will accept nomination for the You Bloody Idiot Award.
With age does wisdom come,,,,,, is only true if you take hard earned lessons learnt and apply them.
59,,, and I am still trying to kill myself, mostly through my own stupidity.
It was megga fun and exciting,,,, right up until the wind gods decided I obviously needed another lesson in humility.
"vēnī, vīdī, vīcī " “I came, I saw, I conquered" Gaius Julius Caesar
"I went, I saw, I survived" Brian Thomas. I am in no hurry to repeat the performance.

DON'T MESS WITH THE WIND GODS!
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I intended to reply but I'm worn out just reading about it.
Imagine if you were being blown out to sea.
It is a reminder why I gave up 10 years of trailer sailer in open waters.
Cheers, Brian in SA.
ChangeMan

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 pm

The wind gods gave me a flogging, but were kind enough to let me live, just to see if I am stupid enough to take them on again.
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:03 am

It has been 2 weeks since the wind gods decided I needed a lesson on who is realy in charge,,,, I thought it was Jeanne the boss. The fear and fatigue has faded, strength recovered, wounds licked and healed, lessons learnt stored away to be ignored until needed, stupidity meter re set to almost invincible,,,,,, I might go sailing this weekend. :D
Brian

Postby bazza 73 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Had a touch of Hobie fever Brian :P
bazza 73

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:00 pm

G'Day Bazza,
I sure did,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I sure do.
Brian

Postby ChangeMan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Just spent a week on the River Murray.
Went from Yarrawonga to the Torrumbarry Weir, the first lock on the Murray.
We have now traversed a third of the Murray length, having started at Tom Agrogin near Kosiosko.

Why I am saying I don't believe I did that, is because we did it in the vessle below.
Now you know all red plasic boats are fast :lol: but this one was an exception.
Even though it had a 40HP motor, it struggled to get up on the plane as it was so heavy.

And I didn't even take the TI this time.
I have found that the i30 overheats and wears flat spots on the rear tyres with the van and the TI.
So the TI had to stay home.
I now need to find a replacement car - looking at VF Commodore or VW Passat Alltrack.
Yes, looked at 4WD but I winch the TI into the ceiling in the garage and the 4WD doesn't fit under the rollerdoor
with the TI on top.

So when we do the next leg of the Murray, we will be able to take the TI.
I'm hoping to get the new car set up before Easter and try for Gippsland lakes.

Cheers,
Brian in SA

Cheers,
Brian in South Australia
ImageImage
ChangeMan

Return to AI and TI Open Forum